With iOS 10.3, Apple has changed how apps can request reviews from users. Per their release notes, developers must now use the SKStoreReviewController API to ask users to rate or review the app while they're using it, without being redirected to the App Store. This is part of a larger overhaul of their ratings and reviews. It's a huge improvement in user experience and offers you more powerful ways to interact with your users.
You can now control when in your app to present the review prompt by calling the API in your app's code, or by using Leanplum - which supports the new app review prompt as an in-app message.
Before you can take advantage of the new features in iOS 10.3, you'll need to update Xcode and update your pods/dependencies to get our latest SDK version (1.7.0+).
- Update Xcode to version 8.3.
- Update your pods to Leanplum iOS SDK 1.7.0+. From the terminal or command prompt, go to your project's root directory and run:
- Confirm in the pod notes that Leanplum SDK 1.7.0+ has been installed.
- Build and run your app using a registered test device.
Once you've completed these updates, you can now start testing App Review prompts using Leanplum.
Note: Our dashboard will not show the new in-app message template for app reviews until you run a test device built from Xcode 8.3 with the Leanplum iOS SDK 1.7.0+. If your test devices use older versions of our SDK, the dashboard will not display features exclusive to 1.7.0+.
Once you've finished making the above changes and testing locally, you'll need to resubmit your app to the App Store.
After completing the above steps, you can now use your tracked events and other triggers in Leanplum to present the app review prompt to your users (running iOS 10.3+) at just the right time. You can -- of course -- segment this and A/B test it with a Holdback to find the most effective time to ask users to rate your app.
IMPORTANT: Per Apple's documentation, you can only prompt a user to review your app, at most, three times a year (365 days).
Here's how to send the prompt:
- Start a new message in the Message Composer.
- Select the Request App Rating template from the in-app message dropdown.
- Edit the Targets to determine which of your users will get the review prompt.
- Edit the Display when settings to determine when this message will be displayed to these users.