You can create your own templates using HTML, and these can be re-used in multiple campaigns. You can copy and paste an existing HTML design, or create a new one from scratch.
Create an Email template
To create a new Email template:
- On the Messaging Dashboard, click Create Message
- Choose Email as the message type
- In the Template Picker on the left, click Manage Templates at the bottom. This will open the Template Editor
- Click the Add Template + block. This will open a blank code file in the Code Composer
- Add your HTML to the Code Composer
- Give your Template a name
- Click the Save button
After creating a template, you can use it on any new Email message. It should appear in the Template Picker, which will be displayed on any new email message on the left half of the screen.
Double click to select and use your new template.
You can also switch templates on an existing Email message by clicking Switch Template in the bottom right section of the rich text toolbar.
Use CSS for style
To give your emails a bit more style, you can use inline CSS in the
<head> section of the email template. Be sure to enclose your CSS with
<style type=“text/css”> and
Note: element and selector support vary between the various email clients. Documentation can be hard to come by, but Gmail, one of the most popular clients, has documented what they support here. And, Campaign Monitor, an email marketing automation company, has a great resource on client CSS support here.
Edit a custom template
You can edit your email templates easily using the Template Editor. Any changes to an email template will not affect current emails using that template, since Leanplum imports a copy of the template for each email message as a starting point. This also lets you customize the design of each email (from the Message Composer) without affecting the template itself.
- Follow the steps above to open the Template Editor
- Select the template you’d like to edit
- Make your changes in the Code Composer
- Click Save
You can also delete any of your custom Email templates.
- From the Message Composer, click Switch Template
- In the Template Picker, click Manage Templates
- Select the template that you want to delete, then click the Trash icon
Note: Content changes should be made in the Message Composer, and not in the template itself.